Wednesday, March 9, 2022

SONG OPTION #4 - AMBIENT / NOISE

This one was super interesting to experiment with. I've listened to a variety of ambient and noise music and I've found that the stuff that intersects both genres is what I enjoy most. Artists like Jefre Cantu-Ledesma and lovesliescrushing create super interesting textures and atmospheres through their music, sounding almost angelic and revealing overtones / harmonies within different layers. 

For this track I recorded my guitar straight into my laptop microphone in order to get a dirtier sound, but most of the work went into adding effects and layering things. I used a looooooad of reverb to make the sound as open and echoey as possible in order to achieve that ambience and then added distortion for the noisier aspect. I also slowed down the stems to make things wider and more eerie which helped the ambience as well. I then layered the result over itself and messed around with even more effects, ending up with three layers that worked super well together to create a dreamy atmosphere with some rumbly noise textures which is pretty much exactly what I wanted !!!


The artwork process was pretty silly but also fun. I took a bunch of pictures of my hair and layered them, messing around with lighting and overlays to make this dreamy wash of color that I associate with ambient music. Turned out sick I think.

(Left to right: Sugar Wounds - Sugar Wounds, Jefre Cantu-Ledesma -
Love is a Stream, lovesliescrushing - xuvetyn,
t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 - 肉体からの離脱)

This was really fun to achieve and I'd like to make more stuff like this in the future for sure :P I don't think I'll be doing a video for it though because that would be quite boring, maybe at the very end in a big compilation of all 4 songs.