Thursday, February 17, 2022

VISUALSSS

The major task for this project is not making the music itself, rather producing a music video for it. In class last year, we were taught that there are three general types of music videos: the performance, the narrative, and the concept. Usually, the first music video by an artist is the performance type, showcasing and promoting the artist as a figure and introducing them to possible audiences. This type, along with the narrative, is the most common, with the two often being combined as well. The narrative form follows a storyline that often matches the song's lyrics; the third, the concept, is the most abstract, not following a set narrative and taking a highly stylistic / 'artsy' approach. 

The concept video is not normally taken on as the first video for an artist, but I think I'll be taking that risk. Aside from the obvious hurdles of producing the video on my own, the abstract qualities of a concept video would likely be more fitting with the sound of my music. Some of my main stylistic inspirations musically also produce concept videos quite a bit, and it fits with their music really well, much more than a narrative or even performance would. Fuzzy layers of color melding with each other capture the soothing feeling of ambient music and more synth-based witch house, which is one of the main options I'm considering.


(left to right: CRIM3S - MEET ME HALF DEAD, Mount Eerie - Ocean Roar, White Ring - SHAKEN TO SLEEP)

However, there are also examples of performance videos combined with the stylized aspects of a concept. The examples I've seen of this kind usually feature the artist in front of a green screen performing the song with visuals and layering behind / in front of them. This style can work for a load of genres, and would likely be a good direction in terms of marketing since it resonates with the internet-based sensibilities of contemporary audiences. I'll probably be taking this route, depending on if the song I choose for the video is vocal-centered or not (probably not lol). Even still, I think it would be fun to experiment with layering and chroma keying techniques since it just looks so cool every time.


(left to right: Sematary - I HAIL THE NIGHT, Gods Wisdom & Mal Devisa - 2 Lives, Charli XCX - Claws, Crystal Castles - Baptism, Yung Lean - Hurt, YABUJIN - DEAR GATEKEEPER)

I think it's still too early on to start considering what exactly I'll be featuring in the music video, but it's good to look at these options and decide what music route I'm taking based on what's easier to execute. Full list of video inspiration here.