Sunday, February 13, 2022

PORTFOLIO PROJECT INTRO!! MUSIC-MAKING FUN

(note: I've added hyperlinks for specific examples, so make sure to hover over the text so you don't miss any)

So I've known since the beginning of the schoolyear when we got introduced to this project that I wanted to go with the music route, producing a music video, social media account, and digipak. However, instead of working with a local artist, I wanted to make the music myself :0

I have a little experience with music production: I've made a few beats / instrumentals before ranging from early 2010s trap / drill to witch house to various other silly things but was never very satisfied with them. I also really like remixing songs by adding chopped-up breakbeats and speeding the song up and adding effects like reverb and gross beat and 10000 layers of delay / flanger / other nonsense (linking an example here, sorry about the mediafire link LOL, I tried embedding it in a little miniplayer but blogger hates me and doesn't allow mp3 embeds anymore I guess??).

I've also been interested in exploring noise music, either softer ambient stuff like lovesliescrushing that bridges into shoegaze / dream pop, or what "most" (relatively, we're talking about a pretty niche community here methinks) people consider noise - i.e. power electronics or prepared guitar stuff. 

I'd like to find a happy medium among all the genres I listed, which I think is pretty achievable considering I've heard similar stuff that combines witch house / early drill / black metal, noise / experimental hip hop, and trance / breakcore to name a few. My main concern is making something substantive that doesn't rely too heavily on trying to emanate my inspirations. I also don't want to fall back completely on using pastiche and pre-existing material (although some of those inspirations do that quite a bit). Since I only technically need to produce one full song for the portfolio project in order to make the music video I'm not too worried about trying to combine all those broad influences and go into a full creative effort, but if I have time I'd definitely like to :)

I've already assembled a playlist of some inspirations which I'll link to here, and I'm looking into possible music video styles that I can feasibly recreate and experiment with. I also have to start thinking about the social media aspect but I think I should be able to do that without much effort. Since I'm going for a more explicitly independent thing than the project assumes most people will take for this option I'm definitely gonna have to be creative with how I build my image and get my music around, but I'm involved enough in these kind of niche subgenre-centered spaces that I think I can figure things out.