Friday, February 4, 2022

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE SUMMER (WINTER?) OF AUREA

New year, new blog. I am so excited!

This year in A Level we worked on a film distribution project, in which we received a short story written by creative writing students and were challenged to plan a film adaptation of it, complete with trailers and a distribution plan. My group was assigned a story based on the game Among Us, which would've been pretty awesome a year ago when Among Us still had meme status. This was just stale. Putting the less-than-ideal subject matter aside, the project still didn't exactly work out. BOO! HISS!

My group got the initial idea figured out and we worked on researching films in the same vein -- 80s scifi-horror-comedy revival -- such as Malignant and Cabin in the Woods. I also had in mind Possessor and Scream as well as the original 80s inspirations like Evil Dead, the Thing, Alien, and the Fly. The research was fun: I love movies, and it's always cool finding out behind-the-scenes stuff like marketing and distribution specifics. Fleshing out the aesthetics for our film was my favorite part, I love brainstorming stuff like that and the concept we were working with seemed perfect for that kind of pastiche overindulgent FUN that doesn't take itself too seriously.

The research went smoothly, but this is when problems arose. I took a week off school because I got sick with a cold (EPIC FAIL) and then another week off for my mental health (EPIC WIN). One of my group members was also quarantined during this time, so we weren't able to actually film or produce anything. We were left with just the slideshow presentation and the key art, which isn't the worst case possible I guess. I just would've really loved to make those ideas come to life, especially something that seemed so fun to create. But the situation just wasn't in our favor. 

I definitely could've handled Rodrigo and I's absences better: more communication and planning, etc. Circumstances were messy all around. Next time I'll be sure not to let that happen! I'm also going to be working on the portfolio project by myself (trollface) but hopefully that'll turn out better than this. I find working in groups can be difficult for me because it's hard to arrange everything with everyone staying on the same page and contributing the same amount of time/effort (which is fine!), so working on my own terms should be easier to handle.